Gunung Kawi is a Hindu Temple complex with old omissions from the stone era located in the Gianyar regency.
Based on the inscription of Tengkulak A on 945 saka (Balinese calendar) which is released by Marakata King,
the ancient omission complex is located at the Pekerisan River then it is called Katyangan Amarawati.
Persian River is also named by Jalu, which is according to the inscription chiseled on the above of the biggest temple door sound ‘Haji Lumahing Jalu’.
The name is the name given on the omission which is related to the complex of temples because the temple on this area is like the symbol from the mount.
There are 3 temples which so-called name Gunung Kawi in Bali those are
Gunung Kawi in the Sebatu countryside, Gunung Kawi Temple in Keliki countryside, and Gunung Kawi Temple in Babitra countryside.
The ancient omission complex of Gunung Kawi is founded in 10 century.
It is founded in the era of Udayana at about 989 M, At the period of Marakata governance in 1023, the omission which is called Katyagan Amaravati is developed and continued by the governance of Anak Wungsu which is guess lead between the years of 1049 – 1077 M.