West Flores – Normal details about Nusa Tenggara (NTT) “Nusa Tenggara” in English means “southeastern Island” and refers back to the string of islands comprising the lesser Sunda islands laying simply to the east of Bali. Nusa Tennggara is split into two administrative provinces of Indonesia – East Nusa Tenggara and West Nusa Tenggara:
- Nusa Tenggara Barat (NTB) or West Nusa Tenggara has its provincial capital at Mataram, the capital metropolis of the island of Lombok. NTB’s main islands are Lombok and Sumbawa. The present inhabitants of NTB quantities to round 4 million individuals with a complete land space of 19,708 km2
- Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT) or East Nusa Tenggara has its provincial capital in Kupang, the capital of West Timor. NTT’s main islands are Flores, Sumba, West Timor and the small group of islands close to Komodo. The present inhabitants of NTT is round 4 million with an space of 46,137 km2
Normal details about West Flores
Flores is run as part of the province of NTT (Nusa Tenggara Timur). The island of 14,300 km2 is subdivided into 7 regencies:
- West Manggarai (Manggarai Barat). Capital: Labuan Bajo
- Manggarai. Capital: Ruteng
- Ngada. Capital: Bajawa
- Nagekeo. Capital: Mbai
- Ende. Capital: Ende
- Sikka. Capital: Maumere
- Flores Timur (East Flores). Capital: Larantuka
The regencies of West Manggarai, Manggarai, Nagekeo and Ngada are grouped as West Flores. East Flores is comprised of Maumere and Flores Timur. The regency of Ende resides in Central Flores.
West Manggarai (Manggarai Barat)
The regency of West Manggarai is subdivided into 7 districts and 121 sub-districts. Labuan Bajo is the regional capital of West Manggarai.
Coordination of West Manggarai:
8o.14’ to 09o.00’ south latitude
119o.21’ to 120o 20’ east longitude
West Manggarai is the regency overlaying the westernmost space of West Flores, positioned throughout the Indonesian province of East Nusa Tenggara. In 2003, West Manggarai was elevated to the standing of a regency in recognition of its function as a necessary gateway to Flores.
With the institution of the regional administration in Labuan Bajo transportation entry to Labuan Bajo – by land, sea, and air – continues to be enhanced. Quite a few financial and tourism developments at the moment are in a complicated strategy planning stage or beneath development in West Manggarai.
The Komodo dragons that are indigenous to the regency are tourism icons of West Manggarai. Komodo was named a World Man and Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1977 and was added to the record of World Pure Heritage Websites in 1991. It was declared a Nationwide Park by the Authorities of Indonesia in 1990. The Park’s land space is 603 km2 whereas the overall measurement of the park, together with sea areas, is 1,817 km2.
For more information Komodo National Park
West Manggarai occupies a space of 9,450,000 km2 (land and sea).162 islands are contained throughout the boundaries of West Manggarai, 84 of that are a part of the Komodo Nationwide Park. Solely 17 of West Manggarai islands are inhabited. Due to the world-famed status of Komodo, the wealthy native marine setting and the pure great thing about the area each the regional and nationwide governments of Indonesia have acknowledged the sturdy tourism potential growth of West Manggarai.
- West Manggarai has a complete inhabitants of 190’286 (2005 census)
- The feminine inhabitants quantities to 96,735 individuals, comprising 51% of the overall inhabitants of the Area
- Within the interval between 1995 and 2005, the common annual inhabitants development price was estimated at 2.87%. The best price of inhabitants development happens close to Labuan Bajo, the Regency’s capital
- From the interval of 1995 to 2005, resulting from inhabitants development and migration, the inhabitants density has elevated from appromimately 46 individuals/km2 to 65 individuals/km2 (2005)
- Inhabitants demographics by age:
- 39% between 0 and 14 years
- 56% between 15 to 64 years
- 5% aged greater than 64 years
Roughly 250 nautical miles to the west of West Manggarai, operating down the Bali Straits separating Bali and Lombok, lays the well-known Wallace line. Named after the well-known Nineteenth-century English explorer Alfred Russel Wallace, this line variety a tough demarcation separating two very completely different ecosystems; delineating the natural world present in Asia from Oceania. On the jap aspect of the Wallace Line is a typical Asiatic tropical ecosystem. Whereas on the western aspect, drier local weather prevails. The indigenous individuals, fauna, and flora on the jap aspect of the Wallace Line conform to Australian-Melanesian motifs. The panorama of Nusa Tenggara is usually savanna, somewhat than the verdant tropical rainforests that dominate on the western aspect of the Line.
For more information about tectonic “Geology”
Particular in West Flores
West Flores’ pure setting is extremely diversified and boasts a variety of landscapes. West Flores is dwelling to savannas: plain woodlands; mountainous tropical rain forests; coastal forests; mangrove zones; marine environments; and a variety of mountains, hills, and ravines. The overall local weather is dry with monsoonal wind influences. On the increased elevations in mountain areas, the local weather is extra humid.
Various factors akin to topography, altitude, soil, and vegetation come into play creating a variety of microclimates:
|0 – 500 m above sea stage:||Savanna woodland dominated by palm bushes and grasses|
|0 – 500 m above sea stage:||The quasi-cold forests are discovered on mountain ridges and excessive pinnacles. These areas are typically shrouded in clouds or fogs, displaying temperatures that might be cool and humid all 12 months lengthy. The range of vegetation is lower than that discovered within the rainforest communities of Kalimantan, Java, and Sumatra. A spread of bamboo species will also be present in these elevated forest areas of West Flores.|
|500 -700 m above sea stage:||The quasi-cold forests are discovered on mountain ridges and excessive pinnacles. These areas are typically shrouded in clouds or fogs, displaying temperatures that might be cool and humid all 12 months lengthy. The range of vegetation is lower than that discovered within the rainforest communities of Kalimantan, Java, and Sumatra. A spread of bamboo species will also be present in these elevated forest areas of West Flores.|
The indigenous Komodo dragons reside on the islands of Komodo and Rinca. The terrestrial fauna embraces quite a lot of diversified birds, reptiles, wild buffalos, wild boars, deer, a number of species of monkeys, spiders, and extra.
The waters surrounding Komodo Nationwide Park are dwelling to one of many richest marine environments on this planet.